Monday, January 21, 2013

cloud atlas

I've just finished watching the movie Cloud Atlas, and I am truly impressed with the brilliance of the story. I'm still reading the book.

And I like this snippet from wikipedia:

Ewing writes that history is not governed by rules, but outcomes. And outcomes are precipitated by vicious and virtuous acts. And those acts are precipitated by belief. If we believe in the Ladder of Civilization, that's what we will get. But someday a purely predatory world will consume itself. Devil take the hindmost until the hindmost is the foremost. Selfishness in a species leads to extinction. He imagines his father's response to becoming an Abolitionist, he would warn Adam that his life would amount to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. "Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops," is Adam's proposed reply.

Sometimes I do feel that my life is just a little drop in a limitless ocean. This is a good reminder indeed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment